Thursday, September 5, 2013

X, Live at the Rapids Theatre on the Fabulous Niagara Falls Strip


Your intrepid blogger is excited to be seeing the legendary X tomorrow night! It has literally been an almost-lifelong dream of mine to be in the same room as John Doe and Exene Cervenka! One of my first forays into exploring "college rock" back in the late 80s was seeing the band's "Live at the Whisky-A-Go-Go on the Fabulous Sunset Strip" on the shelves of my local library and being transfixed by the cover. I was compelled to borrow it weekly for several months straight (until I was kindly asked to let others have a crack at it). Though it lacked ace founding guitarist Billy Zoom, the album spoke to me and the melding of John and Exene's voices oozed pure, unadulterated passon - Doe holding it down with his cool baritone while Exene wailed like a valkyrie unleashed.  Pure fucking heaven.  It has been one of the few albums that I continue to listen to more than half my lifetime later whose power has never diminished.  Here is my favorite song from the album...play it loud and I hope some of you get the chance to enjoy the band life in the Falls!


Look for my review of the show early next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment