Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Goliath wins again...for now...


I ran across this while perusing music sites earlier:  http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/06/sound_garden_owner_says_syracu.html

I've been kind of silently following this story for the past month.  Why?  Fresh out of college, I ran the "sister" (though "redheaded stepchild" might be a more appropriate title) location of the Sound Garden record store in Geneseo, NY for a year.  It was an eye-opening experience and one I still value all these years later. Bryan Burkert's management style was, shall we say, "different" than mine, but the Sound Garden was proudly independent and like most mom-and-pop record shops HIGHLY dependent upon used product to keep the doors open.  What the Syracuse Commom Council is doing is not only asinine from a logistical standpoint (requiring the store to log EVERY used item be logged into a police database and held for 5-7 days before being sold, despite CDs/DVDs/etc NOT HAVING SERIAL NUMBERS!) but as a way of keeping independently owned businesses in the downtown Syracuse area?  Shitty, to say the least.  So, I share this because I care more about the little guy than the shortsighted (but likely well-meaning) government doofuses who blew an opportunity to keep life in a downtown area that sorely needs it.  I share this because I am proud to have been a footnote in the history of this venerable institution.  But mostly I share this because like many of you, record stores were a safe haven for geeky kids like myself...and it hurts my heart to see one fewer of them out there.  So, the Sound Garden is dead...long live the Sound Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment